Monday, July 27, 2009

Riding IlDivo







I have been really working hard on ILDivo since my last post. Many things have happened. To begin with, Terri Russell from KOLO8 aired our first part of the story last Thursday. It was fantastic. We have had wonderfull reviews. The ending to the story was to say the least, priceless. Anyone who is reading this may see the segment by going to kolotv.com. Click on hot topics, type in the Extreme Mustang Makeover, click and watch.

I have started the process of riding ILDivo. He has been a joy to work with. In the beginning, I knew that I needed to go slow, steady, but slow. If something really scares him, his reaction is to run. He also showed his anxiety by ducking his head and bucking a little bit. I have spent many hours and days, ground driving, ponying him with Presley, and exposing him to new people and new things. My last experience with Diva, my last Mustang Makeover Horse, taught me many things. The most important lesson was that she was not exposed to enough HUMANS. She bonded with me, however, did not like others. When her new owners started working with her, she wanted nothing to do with them and did not want Janice to get on her. The process of transfering the riding of Diva over to Janice was to say the least, a 2 month process. I have read in many emails in the mustang Makeovers that others who have purchased mustangs trained elsewhere have had this same problem.

For these reasons, I decided it would be best for me to hold onto ILDivo with Presley and have my helper get on him first. I could keep the horse from running or bucking, I kept Nick safe as well, and I could keep this a very positive, quiet, calm situation for my horse. It worked great, Presley kept everything in complete control, Nick hung on, ILdivo felt safe. The end. After two more rides like that, I got on and rode him. He was co-operative , at ease, and all the ground work and extra time paid off. I will continue to have different riders on him throughout his training.In an effort to not make him a one person horse, he has to trust all Humans in general, not just his Nanny Saunya.

This is the beginning of his 7th week in training. While I am happy with our progress I must move along quickly now. At this point he has learned to be ridden, tie, haul, wear a pack saddle, he ponys along with another horse and the list goes on. He backs up , moves his shoulders around to the right and left and will go forward pretty good. Today, I will add spurs, (not sharp) he will start wearing a snaffle and I will begin to push him for more. He is happy, we are great partners, he has many friends, lots of food and water, and security. What more could a pretty wild horse ask for?

I will be posting pictures of me riding him as soon as I get one! Check out my Sister's face the day of pick up. It says it all!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment