Sunday, June 14, 2009

Rio




From the Western States Mustang Makeover a friend asked me to help her find a young mustang gelding and train him for her. We went to the BLM pens in Palomino Valley where we chose a mustang stallion who had been gathered from Area 51 in July 2008, taken to the BLM. After he was gelded he came into training in October 2008. His owner called him Rio. As with Diva this gelding was smart, and willing. His owner left Rio in training at my facility in Reno until mid-April 2009 when she picked him up. He had learned all the lessons I taught him. During the time he was in training I traveled to various parts of California and along with my personal horse I took him with me. He loaded and traveled like a seasoned horse who had been traveling in an enclosed horse trailer for years.

In May 2009, after 5 months of training with me, Rio participated in his first trail trials, as a green trail horse he did well, trusting in his owner that where she took him he would be OK. He was willing and worked through each obstacle as any other green horse would work through an obstacle. He too, like Diva, has won many hearts and has many fans. Most People just cannot believe that 6 or 7 months ago he was a wild stallion out on the desert fending for himself. He traveled for days and many miles just to get to water. He learned to love his life in captivity with his Mustang Nanny and learned all of his lessons with ease.




No comments:

Post a Comment